Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sundy, Sunday, Sunday...

I shouldn't have had that mocha earlier...
Now I can't seem to focus,
it is very frustrating.

I haven't really gotten much accomplished today,
but I did go to the flea market this morning with my sistah...
Lots of cool things to find!
I didn't really get anything, but it was still fun!

St. Peter's Fiesta has been going on and it is complete madness in town!
It took me almost 1/2 hour to get out of town today!
And everyone is drunk or getting drunk and people start getting unfriendly!
It's sheer madness,UGH!

I was supposed to get together with some friends today and go for a walk,
but it ended up that I didn't have time before I had to leave to pick up Andy from work.
Very sad, but hopefully we will actually get together soon...

On a different note,
I harvested my garlic scapes the other day...

(the curly things that grow on top of garlic, would be the flower)
I wanted to pickle them and found a recipe for lacto fermented garlic scapes.

If you aren’t familiar with it, lacto-fermentation is the act of creating a lactic-acid rich environment that enables the natural preservation of certain foods. Lacto-fermentation also makes these foods more nutritious (it increases their vitamin content) and more digestible (it fosters the growth of natural probiotics). Lacto-fermenting is also referred to as “culturing” foods. Vegetables are easily lacto-fermented/cultured by mixing them with a salt water solution and allowing them to sit in an air-tight container (a glass mason jar works well) at room temperature for several days before moving them to the refrigerator.

Read more:
http://www.food52.com/recipes/5038_lactofermented_pickles_with_garlic_scapes?comments=show#ixzz0s6EgNhnb

It is so tasty and so good for you,
I haven't done it with garlic scapes before, so I hope it turns ok!



Here is how to make them:
1 sterilized qt. jar
garlic scapes to fill jar
3 tbsp. fresh dill
2 tbsp. sea salt
water
*optional: cayenne pepper

Cut the scapes into pieces a few inches long and place in jar with dill (and cayenne if using it).
Mix salt into a cup of water and pour over garlic scapes.

Fill the rest of the jar with water so that it is about 1 inch above the scapes.
Let sit out for 3 days.
After 3 days it should be bubbly, open the jar and taste the scapes.
They should be garlicky and have a subtle dill flavor.
At this time move jar into the fridge to continue the fermentation process at a slower pace.
The flavor should mellow over the next few weeks.

Unfortunately I think I may have harvested my scapes a little too late.
They might not be quite tender enough, but I am sure they will be good still!
I will let you know!

1 comment: